Products from The Macallan Distillers Ltd.
The Macallan is a whisky distillery in Easter Elchies, Craigellachie, Banffshire, Scotland.
The Macallan is part of the Famous Grouse Blend.
Situated on the banks of the River Spey, The Macallan was one of the first legal distilleries in Scotland: in 1824 Alexander Reid was granted a distilling licence. When he died in 1847, his son Alexander took over the distillery. After his death, the distillery passed to James Shearer Priest and James Davidson in 1858, who sold it 10 years later to James Stuart, who also owned the Glen Spey distillery at the time. In 1882 the distillery was acquired by Roderick Kemp, whose family expanded the business over the next 100 years. From 1965, the number of stills was significantly increased: from 6 to 12 in 1965, to 18 in 1974 and to 21 in 1975. In 1996, Highland Distillers Ltd, which at the time also included Bunnahabhain, Glenrothes and Highland Park, and which in turn was bought by the Edrington Group in 1999, acquired the distillery.
From time immemorial, The Macallan has been coveted by blendmasters, who still use it in their blended whiskies. It first appeared as a bottled single malt whisky in the 1960s, but initially only in the Speyside whisky region. It was not until 1980 that it was decided to launch The Macallan on a larger scale within the UK.